This blog uses Disqus (pronounced “discuss”) for its comments system.
The advantages of Disqus are many:
- Claim your comments: Now you can easily verify your comments on thousands of sites. Build a reputation as a star commenter all across the web, while preventing impersonators from taking credit.
- Multiple Identities: Connect identities like Facebook and Twitter under a single account, then comment using the power of all your social profiles. Now, it’s also dead simple to auto-share your comments to existing friends and networks.
- Take back control: Regret what you’ve said? It’s your comment! Choose to edit your comments on thousands of sites any time you’d like. Want to take it all back? Delete it from your profile completely!
- Track and subscribe: Subscribe to other people as they comment on sites.
You can also log in to comment using OpenID and Twitter, but I much prefer Disqus and think it is the future of commenting and blog moderation. So please take a few seconds to create a Disqus account. You can use it all over the web.
Note: Because Disqus is an external service, on rare occasions, the default WordPress comment form will load before the Disqus form. or on even rarer occasions, Disqus may be temporarily offline, and only the native WordPress comment form will load. Please do not attempt to post a comment using the default WordPress form because these comments will not appear on the blog. Even if I approve them, they won’t be synced with Disqus. Please wait for the Disqus form to load and use it for commenting.
Comment Policy and Guidelines
I welcome lively discussion on this site, but ask you to please bear in mind these guidelines when submitting comments.
At the moment, there is no comment moderation. The only time a comment will be held in the moderation queue at this time is if it contains links or if you try to upload an image. This is an anti-spam measure. However, even if your comment posts straight away, if, upon review, I decide it violates any of the points listed below, I will remove the comment.
This is not about censoring your views. The aim is to ensure the discussion is fair, inclusive, relevant and constructive. Moderation will not be used to suppress legitimate, reasoned discussion about the issues I write about.
Also, commenting closes automatically 50 days after a post first appears. This is also an anti-spam measure since old posts are targets for spam links. If you have questions or wish to comment on an older entry, please use the Contact form. I will gladly respond to you directly.
While there is no comment moderation at this time, comments must still respect the following guidelines.
Comments will be accepted on this blog as long as they:
- respect other people. Comments should not be malicious or offensive in nature, and should not constitute a personal attack on a person’s character, or resort to insults or name-calling. Any comment which violates this rule will be automatically deleted;
- don’t incite hatred on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality or sexuality or other personal characteristic
- don’t include swearing, hate-speech or obscenity;
- don’t reveal personal details, such as private addresses, phone numbers, email addresses or other online contact details;
- don’t break the law – this includes libel, condoning illegal activity, and breaking copyright;
- are reasonably concise, and don’t constitute spamming of the site;
- don’t advertise commercial products and services;
- aren’t used for self-promotion. I don’t mind if you include a link to a post on your own blog, but please actually comment on what I’ve written. Comments which simply refer readers to a similar post on another blog without commenting on the post in question may be deleted as spam;
- don’t impersonate or falsely claim to represent a person or organization;
- are in English or French – unfortunately, I do not currently have the resources to moderate comments in other languages;
- are on-topic. Please don’t post messages that are unrelated to the post on which you’re commenting.
Again, comments containing links will automatically be held for moderation as an anti-spam precaution. Please don’t try to repost the same comment over and over – I will approve it as soon as I can. Also, please bear in mind time zones and time of day. I’m based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. If you are in Vancouver and post a comment with a link at 10:00 pm your time, I can guarantee that I won’t be able to approve your comment until the next morning.
I reserve the right to suspend comments at any time. Where I choose not to publish a comment for a reason other than those listed above, I will reply to the commenter by email (if they provided a valid one) explaining my reasons and inviting them to make appropriate changes so that the comment can be reconsidered.